GAUTENG HEALTH OFFICIAL ADMITS BEING NEGLIGENT OVER ESIDIMENI TRAGEDY

A senior Gauteng Health Department official who headed the Life Esidimeni project has admitted that he was an irresponsible and negligent leader.

Levy Mosenogi is testifying on Wednesday during the arbitration process between the State and families of victims of the Esidimeni tragedy.

One-hundred-and-eighteen psychiatric patients died after the department terminated its contract with the Life Esidimeni group last year.

Mosenogi is on the stand for a second day.

He admitted on Tuesday that he was pressured by former MEC Qedani Mahlangu and her HOD.

Mosenogi also conceded that grave mistakes were made by the government and that he regrets everything that happened in the Esidimeni tragedy.

Today he’s told the hearing that some patients were moved to NGOs without identity documents and grants.

Retired Deputy Chief Justice Dikgang Moseneke and Legal Aid South Africa’s Lilla Crouse then asked him if he agrees that this was reckless.

Mosenogi says he doesn’t believe Mahlangu fully understood the situation leading up to the tragedy.

He was asked by Moseneke whether he was afraid of his superiors.

“I was not scared but maybe the Department of Health must be run by people who know health, it would have been far better.”

Mosenogi says Mahlangu, who is a qualified teacher, was not sensitive enough to the situation.

“It was difficult to raise [the issues with] the MEC because maybe we are trained differently, I don’t know.”

Families of the victims have asked that Mahlangu be subpoenaed to testify.

His cross-examination continues.

By: Times Live


Enjoyed this post? Share it!